Wednesday, January 20, 2010


The girls had a good day today. Yesterday was not as good but everything has improved over night. It is amazing the difference twenty-four hours can make.

Cora was put back on a low flow nasal cannula. This will help keep her breathing steady, allow her to rest, and try to prevent bradys and desats. She was also given a diuretic due to some fluid in her lungs. This has also cleared up in the last day. Her piccline was removed this afternoon and the amount of Human Milk Fortifiers (HMF) in her milk was increased. She is now up to 22 cc every three hours! This is a huge amount for a little baby! The diuretic did cause her to lose an ounce of weight but this was expected. The nurse practitioner said everything was to be expected, she had a good day, and she was progressing everyday. She is developing as expected.

Hazel has not pulled a tube out today! We are hopeful this trend will continue. She is now receiving HMF in her milk. This will help her put on the pounds. She gained a little weight today but not enough to see a difference. She should start to gain a little everyday from this point forward. The high flow nasal cannula has been exchanged for a low flow nasal cannula. The difference is: a high flow basically forces oxygen into the nostrils, a low flow is a steady stream of oxygen. The low flow is like breathing room air. It is the lowest setting of oxygen a person can receive.

Both girls looked very relaxed, rested and comfortable today. Their color looked good and they are tolerating their feedings very well. The nurse practitioner reminded us today that the girls are doing great, we are in the waiting period. It is now a matter of watching them grow and gain weight.

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't sleep last night thinking about my girls. I woke up @ 4:00 am and couldn't go back to sleep. Good news this morning though! Grandma is going to sleep early after working some on the afghan. Keep up the good work girls. Grandmaw and Poppa are coming to see you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited I have figured out how to post comments! It's amazing I have a degree in IT. Richard and I love you sweet little girls. We are proud of you - keep giving us good news! Hazel you are a silly girl...silly and mischievous, much like you're auntie. Let's leave those tubes alone for now and I'll buy you a present :) Cora - you'll get a present too just for being you!

    ReplyDelete