Friday, February 5, 2010


Preparing for more winter weather that rolled through the area, we rode together to the hospital this morning, then Mike went on to work. Shortly after he arrived at work, they closed due to weather (although we can't figure why, since it wasn't as bad as prior instances when the weather was worse). So anyway, he was back at the hospital by nine o'clock. We both stayed there until three or so since the weather was just a cold rain moving forward.

Hazel hung steady to day with no large changes to speak of. She is spitting up less and her bradys continue to decline with her new dosage of caffeine. Papa and Mama both got to hold her today but neither did kangaroo care and let them take a day off to rest.

Cora's day has been more down than up, but at last call to the attending nurse tonight, she is doing well. During her exam before feeding, one of the lead nurses believed her belly looked too large and distended to feed without first bringing it to the attention of the doctor on duty. It was also hard to the touch. So Cora was not fed and instead was brought out for Mama to hold. Very shortly thereafter, the doctor arrived and Cora was made to get back into bed. Mama only got to hold her about two minutes. The doctor concurred with the nurse and they did an x-ray as well as blood work to test for any infections that maybe contributing to the dilation of her intestines. When the x-ray came back, they discontinued her tube feeding and put an IV line back into her foot for fluids.

We're still awaiting the full outcome of the bloodwork, but it appears she may have just be constipated, that obviously being one of the diagnoses in the beginning, but the doctor advised they would always consider all options just to be safe, since it's not uncommon for preemies of their young age to get infections even while in the NICU. At last call tonight, Cora had supposedly began a poo marathon with several movements of good size. Her belly is still a little large but now soft and pliable like normal. The night nurse says it all depends on the outcome of the bloodwork still but, in her opinion, they'll likely resume normal feeding tomorrow. She did reiterate though that it was too early to tell. We will see.

No comments:

Post a Comment