Wednesday, March 17, 2010


Off and on this week Cora has been choking on her food and spitting up. This also happened when she was in the NICU. It was determined she was reacting to the formula in her milk. Her doctor asked us to discontinue her new formula for an additional 24 hours, totaling a 48 hour period. She has not choked since we stopped the formula and has had only a few spits. However, it has also disrupted her eating schedule. We are still trying to find the right amount of milk to fill her. She has been fussy throughout this process. We hope to have a solution soon. Today was her first day in the swing, an effort to calm her down. The verdict is still out on whether she likes it. She will try to sleep in it, then get upset, look around, then get upset, etc. With more practice, we think she will enjoy her swing time.

Hazel had another tiring day. We were on a brady count down for her to come home. This morning she decided to have a cluster of bradys that lasted about 30 minutes. They were related to her feedings. She is still very congested which may add to her discomfort and make it difficult to eat. She continued to have bradys throughout the day but has not had any this evening. Another urine culture was done today. Her first one came back with an insignificant number of growths but high enough to warrant another test. The results should be back in a few days. In order to figure out what is causing her bradys, several tests will be done tomorrow. A swallow test will be done with a speech pathologist and an upper GI test. She will be given barium. The tests will let us know if there is something anatomically wrong and the amount of reflux she is getting from her meals. In the mean time her bed was placed back on a tilt and she is spending most of her time being held or in a swing. Hazel loves her swing time! The results of the tests should be back tomorrow. Even with all this going on, the nurses said she was acting like Hazel again.

3 comments:

  1. Well sweet ones, it looks like you've shown another great week of progression. Hazel, I am so pleased as to how good you look! Now that's the happy baby I know! Your color looks great and I'm so glad to see all those tubes have been removed. You are well on your way home, I know it! If we can just stop those bradys you'll be with your sister in no time! And don't you worry about that reflux. It will get better and the doctors will take good care of you. I have the same problems, it is no fun!

    Cora, I am sorry to hear you were having a hard time with the milk, but I guess you just didn't like what was in that formula did you? Well problem solved! It sounds like things have gotten better already. I watched the video of you eating your papa's nose. He's so silly! You keep him straight girl! :)

    Well we are less than 4 weeks until your Auntie Amy and Uncle Richard get married. Which means, I am possibly less than 4 weeks of being able to see my sweet little nieces! I am going to organize all of my favorite books from when I was a little girl so I can read to you. Doon't worry, they are mostly pictures! :) I'll teach you all about how to coordinate outfits, shoes and especially accessories!

    Love you very much,


    Your Auntie Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer.. What are Brady's? I feel dumb asking but are they hiccups?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish they were hiccups! That would make everything so much easier. Brady is short for bradycardia. It is when your heart rate drops below 90. It can be brief, only lasting a second or two, and be self resolved. It can require stimulation, tapping the foot, rubbing back, etc. Or, there can be a cluster of bradys. This is scariest type. Most preemies have bradys, some more than others. They typically grow out of them around 38 weeks of age. Hazel has always had a lot of bradys. Cora had very few and those were normally after a procedure.

    ReplyDelete